MY EVERY DAY 15 MINUTE MAKEUP
These days at 43, my everyday makeup takes me 15 minutes, max. I like to keep my makeup soft and simple but still have fun with my eye, lip and cheek colors. Here are the 10 basic steps to my 15-minute daily routine.
1) To start, I use a Makeup Forever Primer followed by Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water. This preps my skin for makeup and evens out my skins texture. In Spring and Summer, I like to get my glow on and also apply Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal.
2) After my skin is prepped I start on my eyes. I begin with Tom Ford's NEW Cream and Powder Eye Color in Naked Bronze. I love this stuff because it doesn't cake and leave that annoying line in the crease of your lids as the day gets long. I use my fingers to apply it so it really sets on my lids.
3) I then use one of my many eyeshadow palettes (a girl can never have too many, right?). Currently, I am using one from Smashbox called Full Exposure. I usually use three colors, a light one all over my lid, a slightly darker one in the crease and the darkest one along my lash line. I love MAC makeup brushes, and use #287 for all over the lid, #275 for the crease, and #266 for the lash line. I like a soft eye look that makes your eyes pop so I blend, blend, blend!
4) I don’t do my mascara or my concealer yet as those I leave for last (I'll tell you why in a minute). I finish my eyes by filling in my brows with Anastasia’s slanted Brow Definer Pencil in Blonde. Anastasia is the best when it comes to brows; I don’t know anyone who doesn’t go CRAZY for her eyebrow pencils!
5) Once my eyes are finished, I go back to my face and use a light cream foundation by Koh Gen Do in #113. It’s super soft and goes on flawlessly. Again, I use my fingers because I like how the hands warm up the product, so it just melts into the skin. I don't have to use much and blend any excess with a Beauty Blender, which is a must have for all women.
6) Now it's time to let the contouring begin! I am not talking about crazy Kardashian contouring circa 2007, more like 2017 which is soft and subtle. Right now I use Hourglass Ambient Lighting Bronzer in Diffused Bronze Light applying it with a Sigma Flat Kabuki Brush F80. I add just the right amount of shading to contour the cheek bones, jawline, and forehead. Contouring has been the “thing” for years now. I enjoy it but keep it to a bare minimum.
7) Next, is time for the cheeks. I love a pop of color on the apples of the cheeks. I feel like most women could add a little more color on the cheeks to give them an instant brightness to their face. Right now I am using Urban Decay Afterglow 8-Hour Powder Blush in Fetish and use MAC blush brush #129.
8) Once I am done with my eyes and face, I skip my mascara and concealer until after my hair is dried and curled. The reason being is I learned from a model friend years ago that drying your hair after having mascara on them makes them shrink! Wha??? Yep, can you believe that?? We all want loooong lashes, not shorter ones, so I ALWAYS apply my Diorshow Lash Primer and Diorshow Mascara in 090 black AFTER I am done styling my hair.
9) Then, it's time for the finishing touches. I am obsessed with NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Custard. I use it under my eyes to get rid of dark shadows, and on any blemishes, I am sure to blend with my Beauty Blender. To me, this is the best concealer ever, it doesn't get cakey, and the coverage is flawless. I finish with my favorite Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder using MAC powered brush #150. I brush a little all over my face to get rid of shine and then a little Tom Ford Highlighter on my upper cheeks, upper lip and down the bridge of my nose.
10) Lips are last. I have a lot of pigment in my lips so I usually put a dot of the NARS Concealer on my lips and blend in. This step preps my lips for color and keeps my color on much longer. Right now I am using MAC Lip Liner in Spice (my all time fav) all over then Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick which is a super versatile shade of pink I think looks great for fall. After I am done with my look, I always set my makeup with a facial mist. This week, I started using May Lindstrom's The Jasmine Garden Botanical Mist. It sets my makeup, makes my skin look fresh and has the most amazing scent that makes me ready to take on the day!