6 REASONS WHY PILATES IS MY FITNESS FOUNDATION
Ten years ago I was experiencing significant back pain from working too much. I was REEALLYY tired of going to the chiropractor and had to either find something to help strengthen my back or find a new occupation. A client of mine recommended trying Pilates, so I did and haven’t stopped!
If you haven’t tried Pilates before, it's definitely different than any other type of exercise. I wanted to be sure I used the classic Joseph Pilates method which is how Pilates was meant to be done. I started taking private Pilates lessons with Theresa of @insideoutpilates and have been training with her for the last ten years. Not only have I NOT had to go to the chiropractor but my body has completely changed. At 43, its flexible, strong, and no matter what my diet is like or other exercise I do my weight has not changed more than 5 lbs. This is why Pilates is my Fitness Foundation.
I could go on and on about why I love Pilates but I am going to give you the 6 main reasons I think it's a must for EVERYONE!!
1) Pilates develops a strong “core” or center of the body. Getting strong deep abdominal muscles closest to the spine is achieved by learning how to correctly use your trunk, pelvis and shoulder girdle.
2) Pilates gives you long lean muscles and flexibility like a ballerina! Honestly, what women doesn’t want to look like a ballerina!? Pilates elongates and strengthens, improving muscle elasticity and joint mobility. A body with balanced strength and flexibility is also less likely to be injured (the old me).
3) Using the proper Pilates techniques can re-train your body to move in safe, efficient patterns of motion. Pilates trains several muscle groups at once in smooth, continuous movements which is invaluable for injury recovery, sports performance, posture, and overall optimal health.
4) Pilates is an EXTREMELY flexible exercise for any age or fitness level. Modifications to each exercise allows for a range of difficulty from beginner to advanced. My older clients LOVE it once they try it. They always look and feel better in about 10 sessions.
5) Pilates conditions the WHOLE BODY, even the ankles and feet! No muscle group is over trained or under trained. Your entire musculature is evenly balanced and conditioned, helping you enjoy daily activities with greater ease, better performance and less chance of injury.
6) You become ACUTELY in tune with your body by emphasizing proper breathing, correct spinal and pelvic alignment, and concentration on smooth, flowing movement. You actually learn how to control its movement!!
Lastly, in Pilates the quality of movement is valued over quantity of repetitions. Proper breathing is essential and helps you execute movements with maximum power and efficiency and helps reduce stress. If you haven’t tried Pilates, please do. You will thank me for it, I promise!